Check Engine Light Service Near Me | Kahlo Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM
Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM Check Engine Light Codes
The check engine light turning on can be quite intimidating, especially to see that little light on your vehicle’s dashboard suddenly illuminate, but in reality, it is not something that should cause you to shut down in fear right away. If you hear the term, diagnostic trouble codes (DTC), these are just another name for check engine light codes. These are automotive computer codes stored by the ECM, likewise known as the OBD (on-board computer diagnostic system) in your. There are hundreds of different codes that your check engine light can correctly represent. While that sounds daunting, with a little patience, tackling basic diagnostics will give you useful knowledge about your vehicle and will likewise allow that critical Check Engine Light to do what it is absolutely supposed to do: be your guide. Sadly, apparent and helpful vehicle symptoms do not regularly accompany an illuminated Check Engine Light. Since there are hundreds of imaginable OBD codes, there are likewise hundreds of imaginable reasons for the light, including:
- Old Battery
- Ignition system faults
- Transmission issues
- Loose Gas Cap or Missing Gas Cap
- Fuel and air metering systems problems
- Bad Spark Plugs
- Emissions controls issues
- O2 Sensor
- Computer output circuit issues
This is why it is vital for someone who does not have a lot of predominant automotive knowledge to not assume what a code means. Call Kahlo Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram at 4632326531 today or schedule your check engine light service online today! When your check engine light comes on, you should get it checked out immediately by a talented certified Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM mechanic. If the engine light comes on due to a serious concern, you risk damaging your car further by not repairing the issue right away.
Is it safe to drive your Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM with the check engine light on?
This question is not tremendously simple because it all depends on the severity of the issue. If the cause is a minor issue, such as a loose gas cap, it should be secure to drive. This is typically indicated by a steady glow of the check engine light. If you notice a difference in the performance of the vehicle, it could be an indication of a more serious problem. If the check engine light is flashing, this means that there is a serious issue and it is suggested to service your Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM instantly. Call the experts at Kahlo Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram by dialing 4632326531 so you can describe the issues. Or reduce your speed and bring your Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM to our certified mechanics as promptly as possible.
How much does it cost to get the engine light checked?
The average cost for a check engine light diagnosis & testing is ordinarily between $88 and $111. The good news, Kahlo Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram offers entirely complimentary multi-point inspections and free diagnostics, in most cases, to help determine the cause of your check engine light. The check engine light warns of issues ranging from a gas cap that’s not properly tightened to a more serious failure like a bad catalytic converter or a problem with one of the car’s oxygen sensors, so it good to get the proper code reading and diagnosis.
What could cause the check engine light to come on in a Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM?
When your check engine light comes on, this could be as simple as tightening or replacing your gas cap. Again, the check engine light could still be a warning of a significant problem that could cause serious damage to your engine and come with a hefty and costly repair bill. Depending on your make and model, the check engine light will illuminate or blink. A steady and continuous glow usually means something less serious but a flashing check engine light signifies that your vehicle’s engine is in meaningful trouble and useful service is necessary quickly. If your check engine light is flashing in your Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM, we immensely propose not to drive the vehicle and schedule Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM service today. Below is a list of the most common reasons your check engine light can come on:
- Your mass airflow sensor (known as MAF) needs to be replaced. The mass airflow sensor in your Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM is what determines how much fuel is required to run your engine efficiently by measuring the amount of air entering the engine. As a part of the engine management system, the mass airflow sensor helps adjust to certain changes, like altitude. If your Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM is having trouble starting, idling rough or has a sudden speedy change in the position of the throttle pedal, this could be a critical sign of a damaged mass airflow sensor.
- Your O2 Sensor (Oxygen Sensor) needs to be replaced. The Oxygen sensor, known as the O2 sensor, measures the amount of oxygen in your exhaust system. If there is excess oxygen in your exhaust system, fuel burns more expeditiously and your car will be less efficient when it comes to fuel economy. So what happens if I don’t replace your O2 sensor? A damaged sensor can not only affect your miles per gallon, but it can cause serious damage to your catalytic converter and your Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM ‘s spark plugs. The O2 sensor sends data to the vehicle’s onboard computer to determine the precisely correct mix of air and fuel that enters the cylinders in your engine. A damaged O2 sensor can also cause a vehicle to fail an emissions test.
- Issues with any aftermarket items. An aftermarket alarm, exhaust or other item can wreak extreme havoc on your Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM if it’s not installed correctly. These aftermarket components and accessories can drain the battery, trigger the check engine light, or even prevent the car from starting. If these issues sound familiar, bring your to Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM and have our team of talented certified mechanics guarantee that your aftermarket items were installed properly and aren’t causing any issue. Getting accessories, especially aftermarket parts and accessories, or using OEM components first place might cost a little bit more but could help you save substantially from having to get poor work and damage caused by poor installation work corrected.
- Your catalytic converter is bad or going bad. The catalytic converter is a part of your Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM ’s exhaust system. The catalytic converter’s function is to turn the carbon monoxide created by the combustion process into carbon dioxide. A broken catalytic converter is usually caused by repeatedly neglected maintenance, which is why Kahlo Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram offers a complimentary multi-point inspection with every Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM service. If you have an issue with your catalytic converter and don’t get it repaired, your Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM will not pass an emissions test, show a lack of engine performance and will negatively affect your fuel economy. Your vehicle may run at a higher temperature, too, which can cause other perilous problems from overheating.
- Your Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM has a vacuum leak. Every Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM has a vacuum system that performs a wide variety of functions. The vacuum system also helps lower unhealthy emissions by routing the fumes as gasoline evaporates through the engine. If you notice that your RPM is high in idle or randomly surges, a vacuum leak could be the cause. Over time, vacuum hoses can dry out and crack, especially if they’re exposed to intense heat or extreme cold.
- New Spark Plugs or Plug Wires are required for your Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM. The spark plugs are the part of your engine that ignites the air/fuel mix in the combustion chamber of your car. This explosion is what moves the pistons and makes the engine run smooth. The spark plug wires deliver the spark from the ignition coil to the spark plugs. If your spark plugs or spark plug wires are bad or old, you will experience a evident poor performance and decreased power. In some extreme cases, your engine will have trouble starting or continuing to run. Worn spark plugs and plug wires can cause clogged catalytic converter or damage to ignition coils and O2 sensors, leading to more pricey repairs.
- The battery is low or dead. The battery in your Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM is every crucial. Without a vehicle battery, your vehicle won’t start, light up the road ahead, play the radio or charge your phone. Today’s vehicle batteries last much longer than they did a few decades ago, and they don’t absolutely require maintenance. The price of a new one depends on the type of Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM you drive, but check our current service coupons and specials.
- One of the most common and frequent cause is that your Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM gas cap is loose, broken or missing. The gas cap for your Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM serves numerous purposes. It prevents unpredictable gas fumes from being released when you aren’t driving, it seals the fuel system and helps maintain pressure within the fuel tank. What happens if you have a damaged fuel cap? If your gas cap is old or has a ruptured seal, you can lose fuel through evaporation which will result in more trips to the pump and be more pricey. Luckily, to replace a gas cap isn’t pricey. If your check engine light turns on immediately after you put gas in your Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM, first thing you should check is to make sure the cap isn’t loose — or that it’s still on your car’s roof or at the fuel pump.
Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM Check Engine Light
A flashing light signifies that the problem is extremely serious and if not taken care of expeditiously may result in major and serious damage to the vehicle. If the check engine light in your Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM starts flashing, that means that the problem needs attention expeditiously and your Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM should be brought in immediately. This blinking light usually signifies a severe engine misfire allowing unburned fuel to be dumped into the exhaust system. There it can swiftly raise the temperature of the catalytic converter to a point where damage is likely, requiring an expensive and far-reaching repair. Some owners ask if spark plugs cause the check engine light to flash? This can specifically be the cause. A faulty, old or dirty spark plug can cause the engine to misfire. If your check engine light is regularly flashing, please contact our team of automotive experts at Kahlo Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram swiftly by calling 4632326531. If the problem is totally ignored or you continue to drive, this can spread to the spark plug wires, catalytic converter, or ignition coils which can lead to a very expensive repair.
How many miles can you drive with the check engine light?
Since each check engine code has its own level of severity, it is typically difficult to predict how many miles you can be secure in driving with the warning light on. The safest bet is to decipher the code and then plan your strategy accordingly. If you check engine light is flashing, we endorse that you pull over and contact Kahlo Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram to help determine if your vehicle is secure to drive in or if we endorse a tow truck. It could be anything from a bad sensor to plug wires needing to be replaced.
Will the check engine light reset itself?
The check engine light on your Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM will usually shut itself off if the issue or code that caused it to turn on is fixed. For instance, if the cause of your check engine light coming on was a loose gas cap, if it’s tightened, the light will swiftly turn itself off. Still, if your catalytic converter is working perfectly, and you did a lot of stop-and-go driving, that may have turned on the check engine light due to the high usage of the converter. In most cases, your Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM light will go off after about 20-40 miles. If you drive over that amount and the light is still on, you will need to bring it in to Kahlo Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram so the light and code can be double-checked and reset.
Check Engine Light Service Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM
What do you do when you’re driving along in your Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM and suddenly, a yellow light illuminates on your dash and says “Check Engine”. If you’re like most Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM owners, your heart sinks extremely because you may have precisely idea about what that light is trying to tell you or how you should react. The fear of the unknown (or the cost of the unknown) can be just as stressful. But take a deep, tranquil breath and realize the light coming on doesn’t mean you have to pull the car over to the side of the road and call a tow truck, but it is advised that you get your Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM checked immediately. Ignoring that warning could end up causing major, extensive damage to expensive engine parts.
When your Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM ‘s ECM (electronic control module), which is the vehicle’s onboard computer, finds a problem in the electronic control system that it can’t correct, a computer turns on your check engine light. This amber or yellow light is typically labeled “check engine” or “service engine soon”, or the light may be nothing more than a picture of an engine, or a picture of the engine with the word “check.”
When the light turns on, the ECM stores an engine code or “trouble code” in its memory that can swiftly identify the issue, whether it’s a sensor or a failing engine part. This code is read with an electronic scan tool that is used by our Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM auto repair mechanics at Kahlo Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram. There are likewise a number of comparatively inexpensive code readers that are designed for do-it-yourselfers, should you prefer that route too. While this code will tell you the issue that is detected, a true diagnosis still requires an experienced professional to determine the exactly correct issue and repair it.
What Does the Check Engine Light Mean?
One of the most usually misunderstood lights or indicators in your Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM is the check engine light. The check engine light is part of the important onboard diagnostics system, and displays in a wide range of different ways. It can say “Check Engine”, it can be a symbol of an engine, it can even be a combination of both. This light illuminates in either an amber or red color and is part of the diagnostics system found on your car. Onboard computers increasingly have controlled and monitored car performance since the 80s and do a wide range of things for your Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM. Some of these essential duties include shifting automatic transmissions controlling engine speed, ignition timing, and implementing cohesion control, just to name a few. With that being said, the check engine light can mean a variety of different things. It can be as simple as your gas cap being loose or as hazardous as engine knocking. If your check engine light is on in your Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM, contact Kahlo Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram. Contact Kahlo Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram today! Our Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM service department can help you find out what code is turning your check engine light on or diagnose why your check engine light is flashing.
Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM Check Engine Light Flashing
Although there are countless potential causes of an illuminated Check Engine Light, we know from years of providing Check Engine Light Diagnosis Service that there are many common causes including something as simple as a loose gas cap. Other mainly common reasons for a Check Engine Light are dirty mass airflow sensor, defective emissions control part, defective head gasket, a malfunction with the fuel injection system, broken oxygen sensor, or broken spark plugs to name a few. No matter what is the root cause of the Check Engine Light, we have the Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM Certified Mechanics and the certified service protocol to isolate the root problem and absolutely repair it as required to restore factory specifications. When this happens, the Check Engine Light turns off, and you can leave the service center knowing that your Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM issue was completely fixed.
Every Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM was designed with a high-technology performance monitoring system with a computer, and a series of sensors positioned strategically throughout the vehicle on its essential systems. The speedy sensors are continually detecting conditions while sending vital data to the electronic control unit. If the electronic control unit detects that the data is out of factory specifications, the Check Engine Light illuminates telling you that there is a problem. Nevertheless, unfortunately that is the limitation of the Check Engine Light – it won’t tell you what absolutely is wrong nor what to do about it. That’s where we come in; Kahlo Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram provides a Check Engine Light Diagnosis Service that isolates the core problem and gives you a recommendation on what to do next from a Highly Qualified Service professional.